usb wifi N

Pawel Gogolewski pawelgpn at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 28 13:48:26 UTC 2012

Dear Sir/Madam

It has been known for some time that bsd-flavours of Unix try hard to be capable of
running as much hardware as it can be.
What am I interested in is the development stage of atheros wifi drivers for N speed
USB devices.
I am using tp link Wn 821 N  and it works flawlessly under Linux.

Now, when it comes top Freebsd, I fire up the system and under no circumstances
can't the system even recognize the device.
What really makes me curious is the fact there's no way of loading the uath driver.
Kldload responses with information that it is already loaded in kernel but
kldstat -v gives no clue about it.
Furthermore, 'kldload if_uath.ko' gives an error, namely that of impossibility of
/boot/kernel directory.

So, the point is I cannot load atheros usb wifi module by myself as it already
has been done during boot but the system cannot get the module working as well.
I am using regular version 8.3 of Freebsd at the moment, but the problem was relevant
to the newer one too.
I didn't play with the kernel nor did I recompile it.
In addition, "ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev uath0" returns always error stating that
"cannot create interface wlan0" or sth. similar in meaning.

Can anyone be so kind and explain in detail what should I do ?

My ethernet card ( nfe0 ) worked always without any flaws but isn't the time
Freebsd should move to wifi usb hardware more consistently ?
As I said Linux has had the drivers working for some time now.

What are you waiting for ??

Paweł Gogolewski, EU, Poland