RT2860/RT3090/RAL: Any brave testers?

Gustau Pérez gperez at entel.upc.edu
Fri Oct 21 16:31:03 UTC 2011

> I've been working on combing ral & Alexandr Egorenkov's rt2860. It runs
> fine here (LiteOn v0x1814 d0x3090), and compiles sans complaint with
> both clang and gcc.
>
> However, I haven't tested any other rt2860/3090 devices, or traditional
> ral devices (they should be the same, changes only to allow rt2860 attach).
>
> If anyone has a device with a ralink chipset, and wants to test a
> development quality wireless driver :), please let know.
>
> Diffs against CVS
> /usr/src/sys/modules/ral/Makefile: http://pastebin.com/cgHy3SXL
> /usr/src/sys/dev/ral: http://pastebin.com/wXHd7fG9
>
> Please let me know if there is better way to distribute or if you'd like
> a tarball. There are still some spurious printfs on attach about
> HT/WifiN...I think they can be ignored.
>
> This is not a production driver. Please use for testing only. There is
> definitely work to be done. If you test it, and it works for you (esp.
> LEDs, HT, injection, hostap etc.) let me know.
>
> Thanks!
> Matt

   Hi,

   I tried to use the code with FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT r226440. My system
is an Asus eeePC 1000H with a Ralink RT2860, this is the device info:

         ral0 at pci0:1:0:0:    class=0x028000 card=0x27901814
chip=0x07811814 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
        vendor     = 'Ralink corp.'
        device     = 'RT2860'
        class      = network

   I had to manually edit sys/dev/ral/if_ral_pci.c, because the card is
identified as a RT2790. I also had to remove device ral from my kernel
config file because it couldn't be linked with the kernel.

   After rebooting the machine, I kldloaded the module by hand. I got an
"The invalid EEPROM LNA gain" and the "could not find extension channel"
errors. I saw a previous post telling us not to worry too much about
them, but I have to say they still appear. This is the exact trace that
I got:

        ral0: <Ralink Technology RT2860> mem 0xfbef0000-0xfbefffff irq
19 at device 0.0 on pci1
        ral0: invalid EEPROM LNA gain #2: 0x00
        ral0: invalid EEPROM LNA gain #3: 0x00
        ral0: invalid EEPROM powersave level
        ral0: MAC/BBP RT2860 (rev 0x28720200), RF RT3022 2.4G 2T2R
        ral0: skip channel 10, could not find extension channel
        ral0: skip channel 11, could not find extension channel
        ral0: skip channel 12, could not find extension channel
        ral0: skip channel 13, could not find extension channel
        ral0: skip channel 14, could not find extension channel

   I cannot associate with any AP. I changed those AP to ensure they
were not using any of the channels in the range of 10..14 (those
channels are the ones ral0 complains with an skip channel message). I
can't even do an scan, ifconfig wlan0 list scan up returns an empty list.

   How can I proceed further? Can I provide you any additional information?