kern/156884: dev/ath instablity

Dima Panov fluffy at fluffy.khv.ru
Mon May 9 13:00:22 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR kern/156884; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dima Panov <fluffy at fluffy.khv.ru>
To: Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org,fluffy at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/156884: dev/ath instablity
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 23:54:32 +1100

 By Adrian's request, I provide chatlog for PR history:

 21:45:08šDima Panovš
 19 hours uptime, about 20 log lines with "ath0: bb hang detected (0x80), resetting", but it still works.
 and another: my link aggregation (wire + wifi) shown next lines:
 wlan0: link state changed to DOWN
 lagg0: link state changed to DOWN
 wlan0: link state changed to UP
 lagg0: link state changed to UP

 21:51:01šAdrian Chaddš
 hm, ok
 21:51:06šAdrian Chaddš
 And with that -HEAD you tested with
 21:51:07šAdrian Chaddš
 that you said worked
 21:51:11šAdrian Chaddš
 you didn't get any BB hangs, right?
 21:53:10šDima Panovš
 i've got BB hangs already for last 4-5 months... but it not leads to unusable interface until reported version/
 21:53:18šDima Panovš
 now it works with r221480:221612M:
 21:53:18šAdrian Chaddš
 I have to head off, please attach this and dmesg | grep ath from your boot
 21:53:22šAdrian Chaddš
 Ok
 21:53:30šAdrian Chaddš
 was there a point in time when you didn't have BB hangs and things worked?
 21:53:55šDima Panovš
 ath0: <Atheros 9285> mem 0xf0000000-0xf000ffff irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci9
 [ath] Enabling diversity for Kite
 ath0: AR9285 mac 192.2 RF5133 phy 14.0
 21:54:06šAdrian Chaddš
 ah yes, antenna diversity for Kite
 21:54:09šAdrian Chaddš
 blah I'm debugging that too at the moment
 21:54:36šAdrian Chaddš
 So you've always had bb hangs, or has there been a point in the past where it worked fine with no BB hangs?
 21:54:39šAdrian Chaddš
 that's what's important
 21:54:57šAdrian Chaddš
 I have to rush off
 21:54:59šAdrian Chaddš
 Just let me know this
 21:55:05šAdrian Chaddš
 (and then put all of this info in the PR
 21:55:06šAdrian Chaddš
 )
 21:55:15šAdrian Chaddš
 Was there ever a point where the AR9285 was working for you with no BB hangs?
 21:55:30šDima Panovš
 i didn't remember exactly, but before november bb hangs was rare
 21:55:47šAdrian Chaddš
 ok
 21:55:50šAdrian Chaddš
 rarer than now?
 21:55:57šDima Panovš
 yep
 21:55:59šAdrian Chaddš
 ok
 21:56:12šAdrian Chaddš
 would you mind testing a late september sys/dev/ath/ directory?
 21:56:19šAdrian Chaddš
 (you'll have to patch the sys/conf/files list to be able to build it though)
 21:56:30šAdrian Chaddš
 in fact, no
 21:56:31šAdrian Chaddš
 let's do that after
 21:56:37šAdrian Chaddš
 Let's test a more recent version
 21:56:41šAdrian Chaddš
 We'll go hunting for that later, ok?
 21:56:59šDima Panovš
 2-3 message for 2-day uptime was normal in november
 21:57:31šDima Panovš
 yep. so which revision i need to update now?
 21:57:34šAdrian Chaddš
 Well, your environment may have changed
 21:57:38šAdrian Chaddš
 we can test that later
 21:58:18šDima Panovš
 nope, same AP, same 2 laptops, same 3 another APs available at building
 21:58:27šAdrian Chaddš
 Yeah
 21:58:32šAdrian Chaddš