BCM4313 support

Eric McCorkle eric at shadowsun.net
Thu Aug 18 17:56:18 UTC 2011

On 8/17/11 7:12 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 18 August 2011 02:51, Eric McCorkle<eric at shadowsun.net>  wrote:
>

>> I have been working on porting the BroadCom linux driver.  I don't have much
>> time to work on it, though, and it's a rather daunting task.
>
> Cool! Is there anything we can do to help?

Well, my objective is a working BCM 4322 (the card on macbooks) driver.
  Someone who better understands linux drivers could take a look at the
wrapper code for the linux driver, and might be able to port it.

More info: The broadcom linux driver consists of a closed-source object
file, compiled with standard linux kernel calling conventions, and a
bunch of linux wrapper code.  It appears that the Broadcom engineers did
a relatively good job; the object file makes calls to the kernel via an
osl (presumably OS layer) interface, which seems pretty generic.  One of
the headers appears to define the linux instance of this layer, but it
would seem others exist (probably for windows, for instance).  The rest
of the code is simply linux driver stuff that sets up interfaces, etc.

The closed source .o file itself isn't stripped at all, and between the
known compiler flags and the headers that give types for everything,
there's enough information for complete reverse-compilation.  I've been
working on this myself, but I have very limited time to devote to it.