MSI Wind X340 setup ?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Aug 3 18:05:13 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I am trying to do a rush job here, installing freeBSD 8.2-RELEASE onto
a spare partition on am MSI Wind X340 laptop.

So far, I got the OS installed OK, but I have no idea how to properly
configure in order to get the built-in wireless to work.  Any help,
hints, clues, or whatever would be appreciated, as long as they arrive
today befor 4PM PDT (after which I will be offline).

I guess the main problem is that I don't even know the device name.
I did:

     dmesg | fgrep -i wireless

and got nothing, so I don't even know what device I need to be ifconfig'ing
for.

Also, I've only set up a FreeBSD machine as a DHCP client onces before, and
now I forgot how to do that.  Reminders appreciated.  Thanks.