Ath works as module, not inkernel

richo richo at psych0tik.net
Mon Aug 1 03:01:47 UTC 2011

On 01/08/11 10:08 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 1 August 2011 08:56, richo <richo at psych0tik.net> wrote:
>> A while ago I posted with some issues with ath on 9.0-CURRENT, which were
>> fixed by a patch someone posted to the list.
>>
>> A few weeks later, ath broke again and neither a vanilla kernel nor one with
>> the patch worked, complaining of errors attaching HAL. Googling the terms
>> turned up only results from 2008.
>>
>> I didn't have time to look into it so I ignored it, figuring that it would
>> be
>> fixed in due course and that I'd pull when I had time.
>
>Well, if noone reported the issue and noone chases the issue up, it's
>not likely to get magically fixed by itself. :)

This is true. I surmised that either the issue was widespread and so it'd get
reported, or it was just me and probably self-inflicted ;)

I realise that if everyone thinks someone else will report it, it never gets
reported though.

>> Over the weekend I spent some time on the problem, and it appeared that
>> building ath support into the kernel was the issue, my config with
>>
>>> device ath
>>> device ath_pci
>>> device ath_hal
>>
>> (Apologies if that's not spelled correctly, I'm not actually in front of the
>> machine)
>>
>> Doesn't load, however if I removed MODULES_OVERRIDE from make.conf and try
>> load those modules, I'm told that it's already in the kernel.
>>
>> I also built GENERIC from the config in SVN and no luck.
>>
>> Finally, I removed those device lines from my config, built with all modules
>> and enabled load_ath and load_ath_pci in loader.conf and wireless now works
>> flawlessly.
>>
>> I'm now curious about why- and what I can do to know how to chase this up
>> myself next time.
>
>Well, can you please post boot messages, including the HAL load
>failure information?
>
>This isn't the first time I've heard about strange issues like this;
>it almost always boils down to something strange in PCI/ACPI handling.

I did some more reading about FreeBSD's wireless support just now, it looks
like maybe a missing
device wlan
could be the issue, however I'll build a kernel with the broken config
tonight and posts boot info.

IIRC it's hal attach returned 6, and another error 3. I went looking for them
in sys/dev/ath/ath_hal/ah.h but couldn't work out what I was looking for
(Very new to kernel dev, in case you'd not guessed :] )

Thanks,

Rich

--
richo || Today's excuse: