Matching a name to a port

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 13 12:05:29 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 02:56:10PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> FreshPorts knows nothing about ImageMagick-nox11 because there is no such
> port.  It knows only about ImageMagick, against which commits are made.
>
> Proposed approach for FreshPorts: I think FreshPorts will ignore package
> entries for which it cannot find a corresponding port.  If all packages
> for a vuln fail to relate to a port, that will be something which
> justifies further investigation.

I think that is a reasonable approach.

[...]
> Yep, I've had them in mind too, and was wondering how they did it.  They
> have the advantage of a list of installed packages/ports.  FreshPorts does
> not.  I now think that's OK.

Right, they are looking either at already-installed packages, or
perhaps at about-to-be-installed packages.  In both cases, the actual
package name is already available.

[...]
> FreshPorts has never stored that information. I see now that it will have
> to. With luck, this information will be pretty static over the life of a
> port and everything will just fall into place with respect to historical
> entries.

/me crosses fingers :-)

[...]
> > I'm not sure what you mean :-(  Maybe you mean once you have the package
> > names correlated to port names within FreshPorts, later moves will be
> > "caught" automatically?
>
> Yes. It's hard to phrase.  For example, you can view deleted ports in
> FreshPorts, which will retain the history.

OK, I think I follow.  Thanks!!
Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / nectar at celabo.org / jvidrine at verio.net / nectar at freebsd.org