nbdkit on FreeBSD

Alan Somers asomers at freebsd.org
Thu Jun 18 13:13:16 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 9:53 PM Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > Does anybody use nbdkit on FreeBSD?  It's a fancy NBD (Network Block
> > Device) server.  It runs fine on FreeBSD, but there's no port.  If
> anybody
> > is interested, I'll make a port for it.  However, if I'm the only one
> then
> > I won't bother.
> >
> > https://github.com/libguestfs/nbdkit/
>
> I am not sure if this is what I looked at, but I was looking
> for a way to do old style sun "nd", and this looks to be 1/2
> of that, in that I see a server, but no client for the kernel.
>
> I would be interested in NBD if we have both ends.
>
> > -Alan
> --
> Rod Grimes
> rgrimes at freebsd.org

In fact, Ryan Moeller wrote a ggate-based client for FreeBSD.  I haven't
tried it myself.  The main motivation is to use it with Scaleway, a cloud
hosting company that offers arm64 servers, but they need to boot from NBD.

https://github.com/freqlabs/nbd-client

-Alan