FreeBSD a server and bhyve

Henrik Gulbrandsen henrik at gulbra.net
Wed Aug 12 11:10:34 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-11 21:38, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 at 20:23, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>> On 8/11/20 5:49 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>> > Hi infoomatic,
>> >
>> > Looks like I have to top-post so as to not mess the thread:
>> >
>> > The reason I need a VM is because I need to totally independent host,
>> > with an independent name, with access to all ports of its own.
>> > It looks like I need another public IP for that.
>>
>> It depends on your use case.  I have a single IPv4 address allocated
>> one of my systems and have setup various CNAME entries in DNS that all
>> resolve to the same IP.  I think that's a pretty common design pattern
>> for people who colo their own servers and host multiple services on
>> them.
>>
>> the tricky part will be if you want to host multiple instances of the
>> same service though (multiple webservers for example).  in that case
>> you'll most likely need multiple IPv4 address assigned to your system.
>>

> That's exactly where I am.
> Suppose I obtained another IP for the VM, how do I make the VM the only
> host listening on that IP then?

I still don't see why you would need multiple IP addresses for services
on a single physical server. It would usually be enough to handle this
as
virtual hosts on the application level rather than the OS level:

     https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/vhosts/
     http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

In that case, you only need to worry about CNAME and MX records in DNS.

/Henrik