BSD11 vs BSD12 KVM performance

Bapat, Udayan Udayan.Bapat at netapp.com
Thu May 2 18:52:03 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I work in performance team with NetApp, Inc.

During qualification process of BSD11 as a guest, we observed that the cost of rdtsc call has magnified by 10x compared to BSD10. We are using qemu-2.10 that came as a default package in RH7.4. It appears that BSD11 was released before qemu-2.10 so I am not sure if we have any supportability issue and I would need to upgrade QEMU version.  In what way, I can do more debugging around this? We are also experimenting with ESX and we didn’t see this issue there. I also could not find any performance benchmarking around BSD+QEMU/KVM.

Thank you,
Udayan Bapat
Software Engineering, Performance Analysis
NetApp, Inc.