freebsd guest on azure

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Sat Mar 23 18:57:31 UTC 2019

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 09:31:17PM +0800, Frank Leonhardt wrote:

>As to your question, what I've done is run a ZFS pool and simply send a snapshot.

That's a good idea. I presumed I'd be stuck just with UFS. My most
favoured way of doing this is having a zfs-vol backed vm on a freebsd
host but it's not my choice.

> I can't remember now if I made it boot from ZFS as I prefer to boot from UFS

this is me. I like to boot off something fast and simple.

> and use ZFS for the rest. But I think I did this with Azure exactly because
> I wanted to copy  the disk around. It was early last year so you can't
> quite me on it.
>
> If you're not sure about sending datasets on ZFS then ask.

Yes please how are you invoking sending a dataset in this context? For
example, are you using compression for the data stream? If so, what
sort? Is there anything else pertinent to the azure context when using
zfs send?

thanks,
--
J.