NVMe and Bhyve

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Wed Mar 20 17:11:41 UTC 2019

Am 16.02.2019 um 05:11 schrieb Victor Sudakov:
> Stefan Bethke wrote:
>>> I was just worried that using ahci-hd instead of paravirtualized disks
>>> causes suboptimal performance of guests. Do you think there is a hope to get
>>> paravirtualized disks support for Windows guests in bhyve?
>> I was under the impression that the Windows VirtIO disk driver works
>> with the Bhyve virtio-blk device. You need to provide these drivers to
>> Windows somehow (for example, as a second CD image during
>> installation):
>> https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers
> I use NetKVM (VirtIO network) driver from there all the time, because
> e1000 is bad.
>
> However, I've read a number of bhyve resources including
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/Windows and I've never found a success
> story with paravirtualized Windows disk drivers.
>
> If anyone has been successful with viostor(?), please share your experience.

You'll need
https://github.com/freenas/os/commit/0e4d6e1826f8aa7041cbeeb4365c797eeec5c5f4
if I remember correctly.
I asked for commit, since I'm using this in production for a long time,
but once upon a time, there has been a linux-guest specific side effect.
Don't know much about it and haven't had a chance to reproduce it.
In my bhyve world, any guest runs fine with the higher BLOCKIF_IOV limit.

-harry