The status of docker

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Sun Jan 20 10:53:13 UTC 2019

On 19/01/2019 21:56, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> On 19 January 2019 15:31:11 GMT, Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 19.01.2019 um 15:24 schrieb Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com>:
>>>
>>> Has this project been completed and now only needs testing, or has it
>> been abandoned, or maybe the approach has changed and I am looking in a
>> wrong place?
>>

>> AFAIK, it’s dead.
>>
>> Docker is a Linux-thing.
>>
>> Your best bet is to run Linux in bhyve.
>>
> IIRC there have been two projects to port docker. One was using jails for containerisation, the other was doing it the Linux way somehow. Given the way Docker is used (for running downloaded preconfigured binary containers) that it's not really a BSD ethos thing.
>
> Anyway, both Docker ports stopped. Docker is a moving target, and I think that had a lot to do with it.
>
> As Duffner said -  bhyve. It you're containerising BSD applications just unpack a tarball into a jail. Unless you want K8S functionally. Last time I looked there was nothing doing on that front.

I will be working with a team that uses docker for development, i.e.
they have docker containers preconfigured with dependencies in
particular versions that they install with docker in order to reduce
amount of time needed to configure the development. I was trying to see
if I could use FreeBSD with docker support or I will have to switch to
Linux.

I did use bhyve with CentOS in another project but that approach
wouldn't quite work in this situation as for my understanding, unless
you propose that I run docker on a Linux distribution running in bhyve?

Thanks
GrzegorzJ