NVMe and Bhyve

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Sat Feb 16 04:11:38 UTC 2019

Stefan Bethke wrote:

> > I was just worried that using ahci-hd instead of paravirtualized disks
> > causes suboptimal performance of guests. Do you think there is a hope to get
> > paravirtualized disks support for Windows guests in bhyve?
>
> I was under the impression that the Windows VirtIO disk driver works
> with the Bhyve virtio-blk device. You need to provide these drivers to
> Windows somehow (for example, as a second CD image during
> installation):
> https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers

I use NetKVM (VirtIO network) driver from there all the time, because
e1000 is bad.

However, I've read a number of bhyve resources including
https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/Windows and I've never found a success
story with paravirtualized Windows disk drivers.

If anyone has been successful with viostor(?), please share your experience.

I would be especially grateful for instruction how to install Windows on
a viostor disk instead of ahci-hd.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/