NVMe and Bhyve

Matt Churchyard matt.churchyard at userve.net
Fri Feb 8 09:30:30 UTC 2019

Michael Reifenberger wrote:
> Hi,
> first I tried to install windows10 ltsc 2019 onto a nvme disk.
> This failed, the windows installer did not find a disk to install.
>
> Then I tried the following setup:
> disk0_type="ahci-hd"
> disk0_dev="zvol"
> disk0_name="disk0"
> disk1_type="nvme"
> disk1_dev="zvol"
> disk1_name="disk1"
> disk1_type="ahci-cd"
> disk1_name="disk2.img"

>If this is exact copy/paste, shouldn't the 2 lines above use disk2 prefix instead?

There's definitely an issue with the configuration file, but vm-bhyve retrieves config settings by looking through the file (which is loaded into a variable) line by line and returning the first match. As such, it will likely be ignoring the ahci-cd & disk2.img settings. Strange why the last disk is a CD and pointing at a .img file though.

More useful would be the actual bhyve command from /path/to/guest/vm-bhyve.log, and maybe also confirmation that the zvol path that appears in that command line correctly points to an existing zvol.

Matt