Need X-server to run in bhyve guest

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Sun Dec 1 17:51:31 UTC 2019

-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Henrik Gulbrandsen wrote:
> > On 2019-12-01 06:35, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > > If I were to test different desktop environments (gnome, xfce etc) in a
> > > FreeBSD guest in bhyve, what X server (probably with vnc access, or rdp
> > > access, or whatever?) would you advise?
> >
> > This will work with the normal X server and bhyve's built-in VNC if
> > you run the guest with UEFI CSM and apply my Video BIOS patch:
> >
> >      https://www.gulbra.net/freebsd-bhyve/
>
> I'd prefer to stick to bhyveload for now.

I would strongly encourage you to use vnc and UEFI bios mode
in bhyve for what you are attempting to do.  Unless your guess
is not able to run a uefi frame buffer type display, which any
recent FreeBSD should be just fine with.

You do not need the Video BIOS patch for a FreeBSD guest.

> > However, when I tested it with a GhostBSD 19.04 ISO image, the mouse
> > didn't work - probably because FreeBSD still didn't support the XHCI
> > tablet needed for absolute pointer coordinates in bhyve. With a PS/2
> > mouse you will get two mouse pointers - one each for host and guest.
>
> --
> Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
> 2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/
-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!