Need X-server to run in bhyve guest

Henrik Gulbrandsen henrik at gulbra.net
Sun Dec 1 15:54:41 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-01 06:35, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> If I were to test different desktop environments (gnome, xfce etc) in a
> FreeBSD guest in bhyve, what X server (probably with vnc access, or rdp
> access, or whatever?) would you advise?

This will work with the normal X server and bhyve's built-in VNC if
you run the guest with UEFI CSM and apply my Video BIOS patch:

     https://www.gulbra.net/freebsd-bhyve/

However, when I tested it with a GhostBSD 19.04 ISO image, the mouse
didn't work - probably because FreeBSD still didn't support the XHCI
tablet needed for absolute pointer coordinates in bhyve. With a PS/2
mouse you will get two mouse pointers - one each for host and guest.

/Henrik