Bhyve virtual graphics card.

Henrik Gulbrandsen henrik at gulbra.net
Sat Aug 3 21:50:47 UTC 2019

On 2019-08-02 17:43, Nick Wolff wrote:

> I was curious if anyone especially henrick had ever looked at pulling in virgil3d https://virgil3d.github.io/ a virtio-gpu implementation .
>
> Virgil3d is a virtual video card that passes opengl calls down to the host instead of trying to pass through a video card itself. Allowing multiple guests to have acceleration using opengl cards and using a single card for both hosts and the  VM.
>
> The code appears to be 3-clause BSD.
>
> I apologize if I missed a previous conversation on this.

I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure I have heard about Virgil 3D before, but I
have never looked closer at it.

I agree that accelerated graphics would be the logical next step once
the basics work, and something like this would provide more isolation
than GPU pass-through. Of course, for my test case of live ISO images,
it would be nicer to emulate a well-known graphics card rather than
introducing bhyve-specific drivers.

In any case, I'm new on the list, so maybe someone else knows more about
this.

/Henrik