[vm-bhyve] shutting down VMs and kern.init_shutdown_timeout

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Mon Apr 29 08:24:10 UTC 2019

Patrick M. Hausen wrote:

> > Am 28.04.2019 um 06:41 schrieb Victor Sudakov <vas at mpeks.tomsk.su>:
> > "if the /etc/rc.shutdown does not terminate within 120 seconds, init will
> > terminate it.  The timeout can be configured via the sysctl variable
> > kern.init_shutdown_timeout.“

> What’s keeping you from increasing that timeout for your
> particular requirements?

Is that really necessary? Am I correct assuming that any VM is supposed
to shut down within 2 minutes or else the bhyve processes will be
killed? Or is this kern.init_shutdown_timeout only about the rc.shutdown
script itself and not its children?

> IMHO 2 minutes are a reasonable
> default for a system that does not run hypervisor VMs -
> which is probably the vast majority.
>
> Anyone with the knowledge to implement a virtualized
> environment

The lack of information about this caveat in
https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve, man vm-bhyve,
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-host-bhyve.html
and other sources suggests that this particular knowledge may be
limited. Other hypervisors (non-bhyve) probably wait for all VMs to stop.

> can simply set that to a more suitable value,
> can’t he/she?

Yes if they know about it. There should be a warning somewhere in the
documentation if we want to be serious about FreeBSD as a hypervisor.

Or better still, a warning that rcshutdown_timeout (if set) and
kern.init_shutdown_timeout can be too low when running vm-bhyve and
such is desirable.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/