[vm-bhyve] shutting down VMs and kern.init_shutdown_timeout

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Sun Apr 28 04:41:20 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,

The shutdown of vm-bhyve (and probably other bhyve-based VM managers) is
commanded by "service vm shutdown." From man init(8) I've learned that
"if the /etc/rc.shutdown does not terminate within 120 seconds, init will
terminate it.  The timeout can be configured via the sysctl variable
kern.init_shutdown_timeout."

Does that mean that any VM is supposed to shut down within 2 minutes in
a default FreeBSD host system (in reality probably even less), or else
the bhyve process will be mercilessly killed?

This is completely unsuitable for Windows guests who may take a
considerable longer time to shutdown. Even in my FreeBSD guests I
occasionally find the message that "root was not properly dismounted."

Can something be done about this? What about CBSD, FreeNAS and other
more specialized FreeBSD-based systems, what do they do about VM
shutdown?

Or I may be assuming incorrectly about the 2 minutes timeout. Please
correct me then.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/