[vm-bhyve] Windows 2012 and 2016 servers guests would not stop

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Wed Apr 24 05:57:10 UTC 2019

> Victor Sudakov wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed that it takes too long for Windows 2012 and 2016 servers
> > guests to shutdown when I issue "vm stopall," several minutes even.
> >
> > Does vm-bhyve provide a way to power them off ungracefully if they would
> > not stop within a predefined time?
> >
> > Or is there perhaps a way to tune the guest OSes to react more promptly
> > to an ACPI shutdown?
> >
> > My primary concern is that my UPS and "apcupsd --kill-on-powerfail" give
> > me about 30 seconds of grace time before the power supply is cut out. It
> > is not sufficient for the bhyve box to shutdown shutdown properly
> > because it waits for the guests to shutdown.
>
> For the present I think I've found a workaround not directly related to
> vm-bhyve.  I'm going to insert "service vm stop" into the doshutdown()
> procedure in /usr/local/etc/apcupsd/apccontrol before the actual
> ${SHUTDOWN}. It should give the VMs sufficient time to shutdown before
> the actual /sbin/shutdown is executed.

Make sure it does not do the waitall for pids or your going to
sit here waiting for that to complete for a long time, ie until
all vm's go to power off.

> > If you know of a better way to configure apcupsd so that it powers down
> > the UPS only after all the guest OSes and other daemons are safely down,
> > I'd appreciate that too.
>
> Do you think the above hack would have any negative effects?

I think this is a reasonable approach given the current situation.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org