[vm-bhyve] Windows 2012 and 2016 servers guests would not stop

Matt Churchyard matt.churchyard at userve.net
Tue Apr 23 08:18:44 UTC 2019

Victor Sudakov wrote on 2019-04-22 19:43:
>> And the implementation is pretty brutal:
>> # 'vm stopall'
>> # stop all bhyve instances
>> # note this will also stop instances not started by vm-bhyve #
>> core::stopall(){
>>      local _pids=$(pgrep -f 'bhyve:')
>>
>>      echo "Shutting down all bhyve virtual machines"
>>      killall bhyve
>>      sleep 1
>>      killall bhyve
>>      wait_for_pids ${_pids}
>> }

> yow.

>> I wonder what the effect of the second kill is, that seems odd.
>
> Indeed.

> the first killall will cause each client OS to see a soft shutdown signal. the sleep 1 gives them some time to flush their buffers. the second killall says, time's up, just stop.

Both of these killall commands send a soft shutdown signal and I've never seen an instance in my own testing where the second has caused an instant poweroff.
I've just double checked this, and a FreeBSD guest stopped with the existing code fully shuts itself down, ending with "acpi0: Powering system off"

The main reason for having both is that in my initial testing, I could not get Windows to respond to a single SIGINT. 100% of the time it would simply act like nothing had happened. Sending two however triggered a shutdown. I only have a single test machine though so maybe it's something strange about my particular system that no one else experiences...

Matt