New bhyve user

D'Arcy Cain darcy at druid.net
Sat Sep 29 11:05:57 UTC 2018

On 9/28/18 11:07 AM, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
>>> I tried to boot into a Linux install but even though I set grahics to yes, it doesn't seem to be serving VNC.  On the console I can only get into the live CD.  How do I get it installed?
>>
>> Did you have uefi="yes" in the configuration? Graphics are only available when using UEFI boot.
>
> Yes.  I copied it right off the web site.

For future searches I found the problem.  I can connect to VNC OK if I
just run from a regular terminal but it fails in screen.  I am not sure
why as it seemed OK when I connected to a FreeBSD host running
vncconnect manually.

However, I have a new issue.  The install goes fine right up to near the
end when it fails with a "Executing 'grub-install /dev/vda' failed"
error and the install fails.  A second attempt says that there is a
system already on the disk but it won't boot up and leaves the console
at a grub prompt.  I have grub2-bhyve installed.  Here is my config:

guest="linux"
uefi="yes"
loader="grub"
grub_run_partition="msdos1"
cpu=2
memory=1024
network0_type="virtio-net"
network0_switch="public"
network0_mac="22:22:22:22:22:03"
disk0_type="virtio-blk"
disk0_name="disk0.img"
uuid="532fb166-c1bb-11e8-9e80-b4b52fcc4894"
graphics="yes"
xhci_mouse="yes"

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
IM: darcy at Vex.Net, VoIP: sip:darcy at druid.net