bhyve win-guest benchmark comparing

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Tue Oct 30 09:21:26 UTC 2018

Am 30.10.2018 um 02:09 schrieb Dustin Marquess:
> It would be interesting to test running it under Xen with FreeBSD as the
> dom0.

ACK, so do I think. This was on my to-check list, but had to be
postponed until the next HV project legitimates another test setup ;-)
Unfortunately I don't know much about Xen – next to nothing usage wise.
The machine must go into production this weekend, so I replaced one of
it's 2308(IT/IR) by a 2208(MegaRAID) and FreeBSD will run as guest,
utilizing ESXi's pciPassthrough driver for the LynxPoint AHCI, the
LSI2308 and the ql2464 (or 82576) – like I'm doing for almost a decade
now.  This setup provides by far the highest resource efficiency for
such single socket systems (along with much higher single thread guest
performance compared to linear priced dual socket servers – since
sc-Xeons gold-6x you can achive the same guest single thread performance
also with a dual socket system, but price is exponential...).  My boss
doesn't give me money and/or time to do all the nice stuff possible (I
simply don't have it) ;-)
SR-IOV should improve resource efficiency a lot for bhyve.  Also curious
how it competes in that scenario with ESXi!  If I have accees to SR-IOV
capabale hardware package I'll repeat the current test prior to the Xen
comparison.  Hopefully both will happen sooner than later.
Perhaps somebody else has Xen test Seup running?
I could provide the benchmark tools/configs – or even the image, since
the OS-SSDs I used are not erased yet.

But much more interesting was if somebody could describe/explain the
results!
It's not about optimization here, but I'll see what dtrace can tell me.
Actually, the whole code is much too complex for me to understand why it
is what it is and I won't be able to contribute :-(  But I still have
one bhyve setup running in my own office (where all important services
are running on the host itself, in jails). Only one (win) guest produces
minimal load and performance isn't of any importance.  This is with
stable/11, and I never saw "stuttering" RDP sessions, So my feeling is
that virtio-net suffers from additional problems in 12... But I won't be
able to compare, I just confirmed myself that bhyve:virtio-net in 12
isn't really usable in it's current state.
I'm wondering if somebody else has 11 _and_ 12 running with byhve guests
which use virtio-net.  Can't imagine it's working for anybody, since
even transfer rates via DSL lines lead to very high CPU load.

-harry