Error installing Xubuntu under bhyve

Matt Churchyard matt.churchyard at userve.net
Tue Oct 9 11:32:32 UTC 2018

On 10/8/18 6:14 PM, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
> I am trying to install Xubuntu under bhyve with vm-bhyve.  The install

>I had a private email with some suggestions.  They didn't work but I thought I should mention them here for discussion purposes.

> goes fine right up to near the end when it fails with a "Executing
> 'grub-install /dev/vda' failed" error and the install fails.  A second
> attempt says that there is a system already on the disk but it won't
> boot up and leaves the console at a grub prompt.  I have grub2-bhyve
> installed.  Here is my config:
>
> guest="linux"
> uefi="yes"
> loader="grub"
> grub_run_partition="msdos1"

>He said that I don't need the grub lines if I am using uefi.  Those lines were actually added in as a Hail Mary.  In or out made no difference.

Yes, all grub settings are irrelevant if you are using UEFI. With UEFI, the UEFI firmware is used instead of grub2-bhyve (even if the guest boots from UEFI into grub internally).
As such, the loader="grub" option isn't actually needed here either.
Also the "guest" configuration option was removed quite a while ago

I was able to install XUbuntu with a simple UEFI + graphics config and using the graphical installer via VNC -

uefi="yes"
graphics="yes"
xhci_mouse="yes"
cpu=1
memory=512M
network0_type="virtio-net"
network0_switch="public"
disk0_type="virtio-blk"
disk0_name="disk0.img"

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.