is there a vCPU hard limit for bhyve guests?

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net
Wed Nov 7 00:15:20 UTC 2018

> Hi,
>
> On a host with hw.ncpu=48 I tried to start a bhyve guest with -c 24 and
> it failed to start. So I tried -c 16 and it starts and runs as
> expected. Any more than -c 16 fails to run.
>
> Is a maximum of 16 vCPU hardwired somewhere, and if so, why? Is there a
> way to overcome the limit?

man bhyve
Look at -c option, default is 1 max is 16.

There is a compile time constant VM_MAXCPU, you can raise that
to 20, then other problems come about that require more patching.

Last time I played with this it failed above 16, I suspect
some other places have had a bad derived constant using the
assumption that 16 is the max.

Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org