Issue encountered booting FreeBSD STABLE and CURRENT snapshots with EFI

Joe Maloney jmaloney at ixsystems.com
Fri Mar 23 08:56:40 UTC 2018

We narrowed the issue down to how vm-bhyve attaches a null.iso when
starting the VM.

For now a hack like so to vm-bhyve can get around the issue:

https://github.com/araujobsd/vm-bhyve/commit/29db2d6c6ec4a29578dc111903107f25a78cdf82

This may simply be an issue with vm-bhyve attaching an invalid iso image to
the VM, and I would conclude it is odd that it does so.  Or there may still
be an issue that affects even the latest 03-22-18 snapshots for example if
other media is present when booting with bhyve, or natively.  I would need
to do some more testing at a later date to confirm but just wanted to pass
along what was discovered to be the root cause thus far.

On Friday, March 16, 2018, Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport at gmail.com> wrote:

> > in

> head
> and

> > > Hi Kyle,
> > >
> > > I will do that today and report back as soon as I have something.
> > >

> > Thanks! If it's still failing, I think capturing the output of "lsdev"
> > and "show currdev" prior to a failed boot might be most helpful just
> > to make sure there's not something obviously sketchy happening.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I think we had two bad snapshots!
>
> I just finished the tests with HEAD and 11-STABLE latest snapshots:
> 1) HEAD: FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180315-r331001-disc1.iso
> 2) Stable: FreeBSD-11.1-STABLE-amd64-20180315-r330998-bootonly.iso
>
> I have installed it using ZFS and tested using AHCI and virtio-blk.
>
> So everything worked fine.
> Seems those broken snapshots have missed some commits related with EFI.
>

> Thank you all.
> --
>
> --
> Marcelo Araujo            (__)araujo at FreeBSD.org
> \\\'',)http://www.FreeBSD.org <http://www.freebsd.org/>   \/  \ ^
> Power To Server.         .\. /_)

Joe Maloney
QA Manager / iXsystems
Enterprise Storage & Servers Driven By Open Source