Issue encountered booting FreeBSD STABLE and CURRENT snapshots with EFI

Kyle Evans kevans at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 15 23:07:50 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 5:01 PM, Kyle Evans <kevans at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 4:09 PM, Peter Grehan <grehan at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> I believe the problem may have been introduced with this commit: > >
>>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/?view=log&pathrev=329114
>>
>>  Any chance of being able to work out where in that list of commits in
>> CURRENT the loader stopped working ?
>>

> Indeed- if you could work out the exact commit in that range from head
> that caused it, I wouldn't think it to be a tough fix. After tonight
> I'm out until Sunday, but should have time Sunday or Monday to try and
> diagnose it further.

Can one of you try this with boot1.efi+loader.efi built from today's
head stand/? I'm not sure what I'm expecting here since these are
among my first times trying bhyve, but this is what I'm seeing now
(vs. from the mentioned head snapshot where I noted similar behavior
as originally mentioned):

1.) Get to loader.efi, menu is good
2.) Break into loader prompt
3.) `lsdev`- pager is restricted to the line the prompt is on, so the
output is useless
4.) `boot`
5.) "Unhandled ps2 mouse command 0xe1"

At this point, the boot looks screwed until I VNC into it- it booted
fine here, but the console stopped working after the kernel handoff.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans