freebsd bhyve instance does not show kernel messages after boot screen

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Mon Jun 18 05:39:26 UTC 2018

On 17/06/2018 20:26, tech-lists wrote:
> On 15/06/2018 15:02, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> With the VM shutdown look in /dev/vmm for the same name as the VM,
>> if you see it there, make sure you do not have a running instnace
>> of it, then do:
>> bhyvectl --destroy --name=fbsd11-vm
>>
>> You may have remanants of a prior/crashed VM hanging around
>> causing you issues.
>
> Unfortunately this made no difference either.
>
> If someone can tell me what to do to debug [1] this, I'll make a problem
> report?
>
> [1] unfortunately debugging this particular thing is outside of my realm
> of expertise. I know how to start/stop bhyve but not much else outside
> of that.

Find out if it's the guest not outputting or the console not receiving.

On the host run script before starting the bhyve and connecting to its
console, does this record any extra output?

Is the guest /etc/ttys types set to xterm, vt100 or something else?

In the guest, does /var/log/dmesg.today contain the output you expect?
In /etc/syslog.conf there is a commented line for console.info that
saves all console output to a log file, this will be messages after the
kernel has loaded but includes a lot of what you expect during startup.

Maybe one of these logs shows an odd char that the console has an issue
with. Can you find an odd char that doesn't exist in other guest logs?

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Sharing Devices

Shane Ambler