Passthrough not working with OpenBSD nor NetBSD

Farid Joubbi djfarid at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:08:15 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have configured passthrough of two different PCI Express network
interface cards. I can't get neither OpenBSD nor NetBSD to work with these
NICs.

I get this in dmesg when booting the NetBSD install:

wm0 at pci0 dev 5 function 0: 82576 quad-1000BaseT Ethernet (rev. 0x01)
pci_intr_map: no mapping for pin B (line=ff)
wm0: unable to map interrupt
bge0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0: Broadcom BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet
pci_intr_map: no mapping for pin B (line=ff)
bge0: couldn't map interrupt

With OpenBSD it's the same error.

I have no problems running FreeBSD or CentOS with the exact same setup.

This is how vm is configured for the NetBSD install:
loader="grub"
cpu=1
memory=4G
passthru0="12/0/1"
passthru1="3/0/1"
disk0_type="virtio-blk"
disk0_name="disk0.img"
uuid="1c9596b9-80a0-11e8-960c-5cb9013bbb64"
grub_install0="knetbsd -h -r cd0a /netbsd"
grub_run0="knetbsd -h -r ld0a /netbsd"

I started out with OpenBSD and a Intel NIC. Then I added the Broadcom NIC
since I figured that maybe it's a driver issue.
I'm running bhyve on 11.1-RELEASE-p11.

Any ideas?