syncing bhyve instances

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Tue Jan 23 13:00:31 UTC 2018

> On 22. Jan 2018, at 20:47, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:
>
>> On 22/01/2018 16:38, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> for live sync you'll have to run software inside the guest that knows
>> how to properly freeze state. for example if there's a live database of
>> any kind you'll want it to be in its quiet state before you sync from
>> it. in those situations, i do use rsync.
>
> Yeah, thought it might be this. Sorry I wasn't more clear initially
> about the use case.
>
> Basically, the production server is in a datacentre and the reserve
> server is on a very fast vdsl service. The reason for the reserve server
> is, if the production server fails then I swap DNS to point at the
> reserved server and the guests on it without interruption of service.
> All guests are running databases (mysql) though they aren't especially
> busy. So I guess the best bet would be mysql replication for the
> databases and rsync for everything except mysql?
>
> thanks everyone who took the time to answer

For the database, mysql replication is the way to go (otherwise you would need to stop/lock the server every time you do a snapshot and you'll get near-realtime replication which will always be more current than your snapshots). For  the system I'd suggest to create automation for the setup, so you can apply changes to both systems without a need to sync/clone/copy from one to the other. For anything else left (data files on disk, non-system, non-package, non-config) use regular rsync (or zfs send if your setup permits - I'd stick with rsync).

Yours,
Michael

p.s. Make sure to include monitoring (especially replication latency and data integrity)