multi-vCPU networking issues as client OS under Xen

Roger Pau Monné roger.pau at citrix.com
Mon Feb 19 11:02:28 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:42:08AM +0000, Laurence Pawling wrote:
> >    When using >1 vCPUs can you set hw.xn.num_queues=1 on
> >    /boot/loader.conf and try to reproduce the issue?
> >
> >    I'm afraid this is rather related to multiqueue (which is only used
> >    if >1 vCPUs).
> >
> >    Thanks, Roger.
>
> Roger - thanks for your quick reply, this is confirmed. Setting hw.xn.num_queues=1 on the server VM when vCPUs > 1 prevents the issue.

I've also been told that in order to discard this being a XenServer
specific issue you should execute the following on Dom0 and reboot the
server:

# xe-switch-network-backend bridge

And then try to reproduce the issue again with >1 vCPUs (and of course
removing the queue limit in loader.conf)

> For reference, please can you comment on the performance impact of this?

I'm afraid I don't have any numbers.

Roger.