Query regarding tutorials (Please have a quick read of me!)

Shawn Webb shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org
Sun Aug 26 20:21:11 UTC 2018

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 05:45:52PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> On Saturday, August 25, 2018 8:55:05 AM UTC Paul Webster via freebsd-
> virtualization wrote:
> > ... I personally have:
> >
> > Windows Server 2012
> > CentOS 6
> > Debian
> > FreeBSD
> > OpenBSD
> > and a few other more strange linuxs I believe (got a zpool full of the
> > zvols (not named very well ;))) ...
>
> i have no exotic linuxes, but two fairly modern debians. i remain mystified by
> the behaviour of grub-bhyve, which usually fails (no meaningful error message)
> and seems like won't run from /etc/rc.local (must be run from a shell.) so,
> one of my bhyve servers can't restart automatically, and i don't know why. and
> i recently saw that the grub-bhyve package now lacks a maintainer, and may be
> removed.

I've found that the big distros (CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu) work very
well with bhyve's UEFI support. It has been years since I used either
bhyveload or grub-bhyve.

CentOS does need a little massaging, renaming GRUBx64.efi to
BOOTx64.efi or something like that. I can never remember off-hand. But
other than renaming a file, Linux works great. :)

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder and Security Engineer

Tor-ified Signal:    +1 443-546-8752
Tor+XMPP+OTR:        lattera at is.a.hacker.sx
GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE