Query regarding tutorials (Please have a quick read of me!)

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 26 20:07:53 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-26 01:54, Paul Vixie wrote:
> On Sunday, August 26, 2018 2:46:42 AM UTC Allan Jude wrote:
>> On 2018-08-25 13:45, Paul Vixie wrote:
>>> ... i remain
>>> mystified by the behaviour of grub-bhyve, which usually fails (no
>>> meaningful error message) and seems like won't run from /etc/rc.local
>>> (must be run from a shell.) so, one of my bhyve servers can't restart
>>> automatically, and i don't know why. ...
>
>> What does the invocation look like?
>
>         grub-bhyve -r $defdev -m $vm.map -M $pm -c /dev/$sc $vm \
>             > ${vm}.output 2>&1 \
>             || {
>                 echo "grub-bhyve failed" >&2;
>                 exit 1;
>         }
>
>> Does this work:
>> printf "\n" | grub-bhyve ...your-stuff-here...
>
> i'll give it a try. testing this particular path requires a reboot, and the
> system is otherwise running in production... so give me a day or two.
>

>> As an alternative, you can now use the UEFI_CSM firmware for bhyve, and
>> it'll boot from the boot blocks inside the VM, like xen/kvm/qemu/virtualbox
>
> this sounds far preferable! is there an example or other documentation?

first, get the firmware images:

pkg install bhyve-firmware

Then, instead of invoking grub-bhyve, add this extra flag to your bhyve
invokation:

-l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd

Or if you want old style BIOS booting:

-l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI_CSM.fd

--
Allan Jude