Seeking advice on virtualization

Jason Tubnor jason at tubnor.net
Sun Aug 5 23:39:20 UTC 2018

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 at 07:12, Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD at twc.com> wrote:

> I am looking for advice on which virtualization to experiment with first.
> What are the pros and cons of bhyve vs xen?
> I want to use FreeBSD as a host and have maximum flexibility with guests
> (mostly Linux distros).

I'd look at your requirements first.  While we use bhyve extensively here,
the current provisioning tools might not be up to your requirements.  Bhyve
and ZFS zvols work great for us, simplistic and easy to investigate is
something goes wrong (though nothing has gone wrong).

Using Xen may fit better into an existing Xen environment.

Cheers,

Jason.