Seeking advice on virtualization

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Aug 5 22:42:21 UTC 2018

On Sun, Aug 05, 2018 at 05:12:34PM -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> I am looking for advice on which virtualization to experiment with
> first.  What are the pros and cons of bhyve vs xen?  I want to use
> FreeBSD as a host and have maximum flexibility with guests (mostly
> Linux distros).

Right now I cannot give you pros and cons about specific solutions (I
am sure someone else will), but I would advice that you keep using raw
hard drive format.

I.e. one where the layout of virtual drive is like what you would get
by doing "cat </dev/harddr >someemulateddrive". This makes it easier
when you decide to try another virtualisation / hypervisor. Or maybe
even switch between back and forth (but, of course, not run two
different hypervisors at the same time, on same machine - last time I
checked such a stunt was not possible).

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola