bhyve networking

Paul Esson paul.esson at redstor.com
Wed Apr 25 18:44:27 UTC 2018

Hi Folks,

I'm struggling with networking when using vm-bhyve on FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE. I have two NICs and have configured the first (igb0) on a management network and want to use the second (igb1) for VMs.  However, I can't get any VM to communicate through the virtual switch if I have igb1 added to it.  If I take the NIC out of the switch and configure an ipv4 address on it I can reach other hosts on the relevant subnet so I believe the poet set-up is valid.  If I replace igb1 in the switch with igb0, I can then configure VMs on my management network and they have network connectivity.  Can I only use an interface that has an IP address configured at the host level before adding it to the switch?   I've used other Hypervisors successfully by simply presenting a trunk port to the virtual switch, but this does not seem to work with vm-bhyve either.

Regards,

Paul Esson