bhyve and arp problem

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Wed Apr 4 15:25:27 UTC 2018

Bezüglich Daniel Braniss's Nachricht vom 04.04.2018 15:08 (localtime):

>> On 2 Apr 2018, at 19:19, Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd at omnilan.de> wrote:
>>
>> Bezüglich Rodney W. Grimes's Nachricht vom 02.04.2018 18:11 (localtime):

>>> You can not nullfs mount from inside a bhyve guest the host file
>>> system would be his reason.
>>
>> Doh, of course – I mind-mixed with jails…  Almost all my FreeBSD
>> "guests" on a bhyve(8) host are jails... Please simply ignore ;-)

>>> Is it still true that if you have a bridge hooked to an interface
>>> you must move the IP assignement from the interace device to the
>>> bridge?
>>
>> I have no idea, I haven't used if_bridge(4) for some years.  Perferably
>> I use vale(4) (if I don't need .11q) or ng_bridge(4) for bhyve(8) setups.
>>
>> -harry
>
> maybe this could be the cause:
> on the server, every time a client is started iI see:
>     kernel: bridge0: error setting interface capabilities on mlxen0

Members added to the bridge will automatically get some (TX) offloadings
disabled, which seems to fail in your case.

man 4 if_bridge:
The TOE, TSO, TXCSUM and TXCSUM6 capabilities on all interfaces added to
the bridge are disabled if any of the interfaces doesn't support/enable
them.  The LRO capability is always disabled.  All the capabilities are
restored when the interface is removed from bridge.  Changing
capabilities in run time may cause NIC reinit and the link flap.

I don't think the kernel-bridge0-logs are related to your ARP issue –
txcsum offloading enabled on if_bridge(4) uplinks cause other errors
(dropped packets – one layer up).

-harry