VNC and non-US keymap in bhyve

Marcelo Araujo araujobsdport at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 03:31:58 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm the one working on this patch! What happened is, I first always try to
bring the changes first on FreeBSD[1] and then to FreeNAS/TrueNAS/TrueOS,
but after waiting for a while for reviews and etc on FreeBSD; I could not
do the same on FreeNAS/TrueNAS side, lots of people opened tickets and I
needed to handle it properly, so yes, unfortunately there is this patch on
FreeNAS/TrueNAS/TrueOS and not yet on FreeBSD.

There are few things that need to be fixed to let us include this patch
officially on bhyve, but I spent lots of time to create libhyve-remote +
bhyve patch + tests with different OSS; that I'm afraid I can't spend again
any more time on it. I'm a bit overloaded with work, but I will try.

What you can do for now is: Install devel/libhyve-remote and choose BHYVE
at port configuration (you can do make config inside the port) it will
apply the patch that is under review[1] and will rebuild your bhyve.

To use bhyve with libvncserver you just need to add vncserver at the same
line of fbuf, such like:
-s 2,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5937,w=800,h=600,password=1234567,*vncserver*,wait

Any doubt or suggestion, just ping me back! And sorry for the confusion
about this topic.

[1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D11768

> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I'm running 11.1 Release. The fix is not there yet at least.
>
> I read the whole bug report and understood that he was involved on both
> sides.
> My question was a bit more general about the changes coming from FreeNAS to
> FreeBSD and the other way around.
>
> Is there a way for me to see when this particular change, or some other
> change that I might be interested about in the future will be available in
> FreeBSD release, stable or current?
>

> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Rodney W. Grimes <
> freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I use bhyve and have a problem with non-US keymap and the VNC server.
> > > This is a bug that was reported at least to FreeNAS and was fixed a few
> > > weeks ago according to the bug report here:
> > > https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/24450
> > >
> > > When will this fix come into FreeBSD?
> > > How does the process work for changes into FreeNAS and then into
> FreeBSD?
> >
> > For this specific instance Marcelo, the person working the bug from the
> > FreeNAS side, is also a member of the FreeBSD developers group working
> > on bhyve so he tends to make sure his fixes get brought over.
> >

> > > Or is it that the change was first made into FreeBSD and then from
> there
> > > found its way into FreeNAS?
> >
> > I am unclear in this case, but from reading the full text of the
> > bugs.freenas.org report it is clear that he is working on both
> > FreeBSD and FreeNAS to resolve the issue.
> >
> > > I could not find this information anywhere other than that FreeNAS is
> > based
> > > on FreeBSD.
> >
> > I think if you read the bug report carefully you should find the
> > following text excerpt:
> > -- begin excerpt --
> >
> >  Updated by Marcelo Araujo 5 months ago
> >
> >     Priority changed from No priority to Important
> >     Status changed from Unscreened to Investigation
> >     Target version set to 49
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It is a know issue with bhyve, I'm working to import libvncserver to
> > replace the current implementation of rfb on FreeBSD. It will take a bit
> of
> > time as I need first commit it on FreeBSD and then merge it to FreeNAS.
> >
> > The process to commit on FreeBSD can take a bit of time, because we have
> > review process and a merge process as well.
> >
> > But I will keep you guys updated about my progress.
> >
> > Best,
> > -- end excerpt --
> > -- begin excerpt --
> > Updated by Marcelo Araujo about 1 month ago
> >
> >     Target version changed from 11.2 to 11.1
> >     Status changed from Fix In Progress to Ready For Release
> >
> > I added libhyve-remote and all the bits necessary to improve VNC server.
> > Python bits were reviewed by williamgr and C bits by kris.
> > -- begin excerpt --
> >
> > In this second one 11.2 and 11.1 are refering to FreeBSD releases,
> [...]

Marcelo Araujo            (__)araujo at FreeBSD.org
\\\'',)http://www.FreeBSD.org <http://www.freebsd.org/>   \/  \ ^
Power To Server.         .\. /_)