Arch Linux UEFI Bhyve Setup

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 9 06:28:24 UTC 2017

Hi Vincent,

> Nothing works with UEFI console for me so I think I’m going to stick
> with BIOS-MBR-GRUB for now, unless you have an idea I can try…

  The live ISO can be repacked to work with a serial console. The only
complication is that the systemd-boot (aka gummiboot, Arch's UEFI
loader) are embedded in a FAT filesystem image.

  The repack steps are:

1. Install the cdrtools-devel package to get mkisofs

2. Extract the contents of the Arch iso into a working directory

    # cd /path/to/work_dir
    # tar xf /path/to/archlinux-2017.01.01-dual.iso

3. Find the label of the ISO (to be used in the repack)

    # isoinfo -d -i /path/to/archlinux-2017.01.01-dual.iso | grep
^Volume\ id
    Volume id: ARCH_201701

4. Set up a vnode-backed md for the FAT boot image and mount it

    # mdconfig -f EFI/archiso/efiboot.img
    # mount_msdosfs /dev/md0  /mnt

5. Edit the config file, adding serial console lines to the 'options' line

    # vi /mnt/loader/entries/archiso-x86_64.conf
    options archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201701 console=tty0
console=ttyS0

6. Unmount the filesystem (updating the FAT filesystem image) and
cleanup the md

    # umount /mnt
    # mdconfig -d -u 0

7. Repack the ISO, using the volume ID from step 3. Change the
    name of the repacked iso to whatever is suitable with the '-o'
    parameter.

    # mkisofs \
  -iso-level 3 \
  -V "ARCH_201701" \
  -J -joliet-long \
  -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -c isolinux/boot.cat \
  -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
  -eltorito-alt-boot -eltorito-platform 0xEF \
  -eltorito-boot EFI/archiso/efiboot.img \
  -no-emul-boot \
  -o ../arch_repack.iso .

  The system can now be booted with a serial console. An example command
line with serial output on the nmdm device is

bhyve \
       -c 2 \
       -s 0,hostbridge \
       -s 3,ahci-cd,/path/to/arch_repack.iso \
       -s 10,virtio-net,tap0 \
       -l bootrom,/path/to/BHYVE_UEFI_20160526.fd \
       -l com1,/dev/nmdm0A \
       -s 31,lpc \
       -m 2G -H -w \
       arch