virtio_console in bhyve? (FreeBSD host and guest)

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Thu Feb 23 19:16:16 UTC 2017

Some more information:

> I'm trying to get guest-additions to work for FreeBSD guests in FreeNAS 10.
> FreeNAS 10 is built on top of RELENG_11 and uses the bhyve hypervisor.
>
> Each VM is started with one virtio_console device like this:
>
> bhyve [...] -s '30,virtio-console,org.freenas.vm-tools=/var/run/containerd/dfdbb716-789f-44c3-9653-2157bdb3e76e.vmtools.sock'
>
> Yet, inside the VM guest (I tried RELENG_10_3 and RELENG_11_0):
>
> root at icescrum:~ # kldload virtio_console
> vtcon0: <VirtIO Console Adapter> on virtio_pci1
> vtcon0: vtcon_ctrl_process_event: invalid port ID 779313518
> vtcon0: vtcon_ctrl_port_open_event: open port 0, but does not exist

When I deploy a Linux guest virtual machine on that FreeNAS system,
bhyve is invoked in exactly the same way:

bhyve [...] -s '30,virtio-console,org.freenas.vm-tools=/var/run/containerd/b5652839-4765-4384-8cd0-90964d4b1b4f.vmtools.sock'

(different UUID, of course).

Yet, in Linux the virtio_console is probed correctly, a device named
'/dev/virtio-ports/org.freenas.vm-tools' is created in the guest and the
guest and the host can communicate.

So the problems seems to lie not with FreeNAS but with the FreeBSD
implementation of virtio_console(4).

Anyone? Is this even the correct mailing list or should I address
freebsd-emulation or something entirely different like -stable?

Thanks,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100

Wir schaffen Lösungen für Ihre digitale Herausforderung.
Am 23.02.2017 sind wir auf der IT & Media in Frankfurt vertreten.
Wir freuen uns auf Ihren Besuch am Stand B7