Unable to create OpenBSD 6.0 bhyve guest

Shawn Webb shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org
Fri Feb 10 18:41:32 UTC 2017

On Friday, 10 February 2017 06:35:19 PM C. L. Martinez wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 01:27:21PM -0500, Shawn Webb wrote:
> > On Friday, 10 February 2017 06:15:13 PM C. L. Martinez wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > >  I am trying to create an OpenBSD 6.0 virtual guest under FreeBSD 11
> > >  bhyve
> > >
> > > server. When I try list cd contents, segmentation faults appears:
> > >
> > > grub-bhyve -d /data/vms/conf/obsdfwwif -m device.map -r cd0 obsdfwwif

> > > GRUB  version 2.00
> > >
> > >    Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
> > >
> > > lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible
> > > device
> > > or file completions.
> > >

> > > grub>ls
> > > Segmentation fault
> >
> > Hey C.L. Martinez,
> >
> > This is because grub-bhyve creates memory mappings that are both writable
> > and executable, something that is disallowed by default on HardenedBSD.
> >
> > You'll need to add a secadm rule to disable pageexec and mprotect
> > restrictions for grub-bhyve. You can find a sample rule here:
> >
> > https://github.com/HardenedBSD/secadm-rules/blob/master/grub-bhyve.rule
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Thanks Shawn, but it is a FreeBSD-11 RELEASE test laptop :( .... But I am
> doing some tests with linux also, and it seems that it has some problem
> with memory according memtest says ...

Your kldstat output leads me to believe you're running HardenedBSD as the host
OS (the addresses being 0x0).

What is the output of `uname -a`?

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder and Security Engineer

GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE