Zvol, Bhyve/Pfsense and config restore

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Thu Feb 9 13:22:07 UTC 2017

 Bezüglich Rajil Saraswat's Nachricht vom 09.02.2017 14:04 (localtime):
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to setup a pfsense instance under bhyve. Until now i had a
> standalone machine for pfsense but it is going away for RMA so i am
> trying to replace it with a bhyve instance. The /cf/conf/config.xml file
> needs to be copied over to the bhyve instance.
>
> I created the zvol (zfs create -sV 8G "vmpool/os5") and used this zvol
> in the bhyve vm. To copy the config.xml, i mounted the zvol on the host
> which worked. But I am unable to list the contents of the zvol.
>
> # mount /dev/zvol/vmpool/os5 /mnt/tst
>
> #df
>
> /dev/zvol/vmpool/os5
> 8106716       6992    7451188     0%    /mnt/tst
>
> #ls -la /mnt/tst
>
> ls: /mnt/tst: Bad file descriptor
>
> How can i access the vm filesystem on the host?

Which volmode is in use for vmpool/os5 ('zfs get volmode vmpool/os5')?

I don't know what patritioning scheme pfsens uses, but 'gpart show
/dev/zvol/vmpool/os5' would be of interest.

You need volmode "geom" and something like /dev/zvol/vmpool/os5p2 or
/dev/zvol/vmpool/os5a for your mount special I guess.

-harry