Ubuntu UEFI Won't Reboot

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 8 06:36:25 UTC 2017

Hi Vincent,

> So after a minute or two, I get the UEFI Shell and when I exit, I get
> something that appears to be the bhyve BIOS (?) when I go from there
> to the Boot Maintenance Manager, and then « Boot From File » I can
> select the block device, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi
> and then I get the Grub menu from which I can select Ubuntu, which in
> turn boots the OS just fine. Now, the question is, can I configure
> bhyve to look for that file instead of whatever it is currently
> looking for and not finding? Or do I have to modify the ESP?

  This is a known issue in that UEFI nvvars aren't written to permanent
storage (e.g. see
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2016-September/004808.html).
A number of guest o/s's use nvvars to handle boot order/non-standard
boot loader names etc, and expect changes to these to be persistent.

  There is a fix that just needs to be comitted (to both bhyve and
UEFI/bhyve). Hope to get to that soon.

later,

Peter.