bhyve uses all available memory during IO-intensive operations

Jason Tubnor jtubnor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 03:59:00 UTC 2017

On 3 Dec. 2017 12:21, "K. Macy" <kmacy at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Storage amplification usually has to do with ZFS RAID-Z padding. If your
> ZVOL block size does not make sense with your disk sector size, and
> RAID-Z level, you can get pretty silly numbers.

That's not what I'm talking about here. If your volblocksize is too
small you end up using (vastly) more space for indirect blocks than
data blocks.

-M

This. I experienced this with chyves and bumped the block size back to 8k.
Fixed the issue.

Be careful selecting 8k for Windows guests though. Anything over 4k and you
can't use any mssql.

With some tweaks, I've found vm-bhyve better suited if you can do totally
UEFI. I'll be putting up some templates shortly.

Cheers,

Jason