couple of issues with bhyve windows 10 pro guest on FreeBSD 11.0

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sat Oct 1 20:55:45 UTC 2016

Hi Tao,

> I have installed windows 10 pro as a bhyve guest on FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE
> r306257M, with an i7-5930k on an ASUS X99 deluxe.
> I followed the following instructions,
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/56912/
> All is well except that
> 1. can't input capital letters.

  Right shift key ? I believe the left should work Ok. What language
keyboard are you using ?

  Depending on what your VNC client allows, a short-term workaround is
to map the right shift key to the left shift.

  (this was fixed in 11-stable with r305714 but didn't make it into 11.0R)

> 2. windows 10 guest only sees at most 2 virtual processors no matter what
> is specified with -c in the bhyve command line (I tried installation with
> -c 2 and -c 8).

  By default, bhyve presents vCPUs as individual CPU sockets (i.e. 1
CPU/socket).

  Win10 appears to only supports 2 CPU sockets max (and 1 on home
versions), but a larger number of logical CPUs. The terminology in this
post is a bit confusing but I believe they are referring to 'physical
CPUs' as sockets:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/windows-10-versions-cpu-limits/905c24ad-ad54-4122-b730-b9e7519c823f?auth=1

  bhyve can be configured to expose vCPUs as logical processors within a
socket using tunables that should be set before vmm.ko is loaded (or
after unload/before reload).

  hw.vmm.topology.cores_per_package   (defaults to 1)
  hw.vmm.topology.threads_per_core    (   "   "     )

  Note that these settings are global and will be used by all VMs.

later,

Peter.