Windows 2016

Randy Terbush randy at terbush.org
Tue Nov 1 17:46:27 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Randy Terbush <randy at terbush.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Matt Churchyard <
> matt.churchyard at userve.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 8:58 AM, Matt Churchyard via
>> freebsd-virtualization <freebsd-virtualization at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> > You use virtio network adapters, you have to install the virtio
>> > drivers and NOT the drivers for the physical interface. Then configure
>> > the IP Address, gateway, etc. in Windows.
>>
>> >All right, let me repeat what I am up aginst.
>>
>> >I do set the IP configuration in the virtual BIOS.
>>
>> >However when the Win2016 VM boots it sees
>>
>> >1) the localhost
>>
>> >2) its assigned IP address
>>
>> >3) A yellow triangle where the ethernet adaptor is.
>>
>> I'm not sure what people find so difficult about this - Just treat it
>> like it was a real Windows machine
>>
>> 1) Do not assign the guest's IP address on the host
>> 2) Do not set the IP in the guest BIOS (I'm not even sure what you mean
>> by this)
>>
>> As you have found, the virtio-net network adapter has a yellow triangle
>> in Windows, because it is not installed. You need to run bhyve but replace
>> the Windows ISO with the virtio-net driver ISO, which you can download off
>> the Internet; Then install the network driver through VNC. The guest has a
>> "virtio-net" interface which is created by bhyve - This has nothing to do
>> with your motherboard and you do not need to install any of the motherboard
>> or physical interface drivers in the guest.
>>
>> Once you have the virtio driver installed, you will have a "Redhat
>> VirtIO" network adapter in Windows, and you can assign an
>> IP/Netmask/Gateway to this just as you normally would in Windows.
>>
>> Forget about the Linux machines. They have the virtio-net driver built
>> in, so you can just configure eth0 out-of-the-box like normal. If you've
>> configured their IP addresses on the bhyve host then that's not really the
>> correct way to configure things, even if it doesn't actually break
>> anything; The IP address should be configured inside the guest OS.
>>
>> Matt
>>

>> ​>Can you guys confirm that you actually have a Windows 2016 vm running?
>>

>> >As I have said, I have installed nearly every version of Windows OS vms
>> with Bhyve (vm-bhyve) successfully with the >exception of Windows 2016.
>>

>> >DHCP does not work. Assigning an address by hand does not work. Any
>> attempt to configure the IP on the network device or >even uninstall it
>> just results in long delays and spinning cursors.
>>

>> >If you've got this working, I would love to see a vm-bhyve template and
>> to know what virtio driver package version you are >using.
>>

>> I have Windows 2016 Evaluation running without any problems. -
>> http://imgur.com/a/b9dws
>>

>> The configuration for vm-bhyve I’m using is below (I actually wrote
>> vm-bhyve).
>>
>> I used virtio-win-0.1.118.iso as that happens to be what I had lying
>> around at the time. I’ve no idea what other virtio driver versions are like.

> [...]
​Actually... after attempting to uninstall driver and software through
Device Manager and giving up after a long hang. After the reboot...

1. I went back to Device Manager to find the device disabled.​

​2. Successfully deleted and removed driver software for the network device.
3. Went back to ISO #118 image for virtio and installed the w10 amd64
driver and the network interface immediately came up.

Success.

So here is my working config:

Windows 2016 Essentials release

vm-bhyve template as follows: