Windows 2016

The Doctor doctor at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
Tue Nov 1 14:22:59 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 03:16:12PM +0100, Daniel Tihanyi wrote:

> > > This makes very little sense. You usually specify the netmask and
> > > default route when you assign Windows an IP address.
> > > And how have you assigned the guest an IP address if it has no
> > > network interface?
> > >
> > The taps are allocated an IP address.
> >
> > I fully concur.
> >
> > In the install at one point, I declare that the IP address, netmask
> > and gateway
> > are 'declared' at the 'MB ' BIOS interface.

> > > On the bhyve host it should be configured just like any other bhyve
> > > virtual machine. The guest should have a virtio-net device, which
> > > is linked to a tap interface on the host. That tap interface should
> > > be bridged with whichever physical network adapter you want the
> > > guest connected to.
> > >
> > > However, I think I mentioned in a previous message that Windows
> > > does not have the virtio-net drivers by default. You need to boot
> > > the guest with the virtio-net driver ISO attached and install the
> > > driver. You should see the interface in Device Manager flagged as
> > > not installed/working.
> > >

> > That is correct .
> >
> > I do have an iso of the MB drivers,
> >
> > namely a Supermicro??X10DRW-i MB?
> >
> > and?
> >
> > from Intel I did obtain the .exe file for the i350GbE drivers.
> > I script a 2 phase installation as follows:
> >
> > 1)
> >

> > /usr/sbin/bhyve -c 2 -m 4G -w -H -s 3,ahci-cd,./.iso/14393.0.160715-
> > 1616.RS1_RELEASE_SERVER_EVAL_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO -s 4,ahci-
> > hd,windows2016.img -s 5,virtio-net,tap15 -s
> > 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=800,h=600,wait -s 30,xhci,tablet -s 31,lpc
> > -l com1,stdio -l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd
> > windows2016guest
> >
> > 2)
> >

> > /usr/sbin/bhyve -c 2 -m 4G -w -H -s 3,ahci-cd,./.iso/null-install.iso
> > -s 4,ahci-hd,windows2016.img -s 5,virtio-net,tap15 -s
> > 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1024,h=768,wait -s 30,xhci,tablet -s
> > 31,lpc -l com1,/dev/nmdm15A -l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-
> > firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd windows2016guest &
> >
> > As I said, I have picked up an ISO from the MB manufacturer
> >
> > let's call it manufacturer.iso .
> >
> > Where do I place said iso in the 'phase' of things?
>
> You use virtio network adapters, you have to install the virtio drivers
> and NOT the drivers for the physical interface. Then configure the IP
> Address, gateway, etc. in Windows.

All right, let me repeat what I am up aginst.

I do set the IP configuration in the virtual BIOS.

However when the Win2016 VM boots it sees

1) the localhost

2) its assigned IP address

3) A yellow triangle where the ethernet adaptor is.

http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Time for the USA to hold a referendum on its republic and vote to dissolve!!