Windows 2016

The Doctor doctor at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
Tue Nov 1 14:18:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 08:08:35AM -0600, Randy Terbush wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 3:21 AM, Matt Churchyard via freebsd-virtualization <
> freebsd-virtualization at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > >I was able to install the Windows 2016 using the GUI method.
> >
> > >One proble.
> >
> > >It is assigned an IP but
> >
> > >the netmask and the default route is not showing up.
> >
> > >Also  The virtual Windows 2016 box does not see a network interface.
> >
> > This makes very little sense. You usually specify the netmask and default
> > route when you assign Windows an IP address.
> > And how have you assigned the guest an IP address if it has no network
> > interface?
> >
> > >What must I do to convince this box that is it on a switch
> >
> > On the bhyve host it should be configured just like any other bhyve
> > virtual machine. The guest should have a virtio-net device, which is linked
> > to a tap interface on the host. That tap interface should be bridged with
> > whichever physical network adapter you want the guest connected to.
> >
> > However, I think I mentioned in a previous message that Windows does not
> > have the virtio-net drivers by default. You need to boot the guest with the
> > virtio-net driver ISO attached and install the driver. You should see the
> > interface in Device Manager flagged as not installed/working.

> > Just one other thing to add to this. I'm not sure if this is the case
> > here, but it's something I've seen a few times now.
> > When configuring IP addresses, etc for a guest, this should be done
> > -inside- the guest.
> > Do not assign a guest's IP address to the host, or to the tap interface.
> > Bhyve works just like any other hypervisor. IP settings are done in the
> > guest as if it was a real machine, the host just acts like a switch.

As I said I have install recent versions
of

Fedora
Centos

and

Ubuntu similarly.

> > ???
> >

> This issue may be unique to Windows 2016.
>
> ???I've had success installing most Windows releases with exception of
> Windows 2016.
>
> Windows 10 Enterprise and others ultimately work after attaching the virtio
> ISO and installing the drivers by hand, however, note of caution that the
> 126 release of virtio drivers did not work for me. Version 102 does.
>
> This is still work in progress from my perspective.???

You might be correct.

iThe Win2016 Vm

Does recognise the 2 IP  localhost and its assigned IP

but netmask and gateway are having issues.

I notice a yellow triangle by the Ethernet card in Device manager.

All right, is there a way inside the win2016 VM to creeate
an external link to the virtual switch.

http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Time for the USA to hold a referendum on its republic and vote to dissolve!!