UFS vs. ZFS inside bhyve hosted on ZFS

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Sat Mar 19 01:48:37 UTC 2016

Greetings,

So I am becoming quite enamored of an 11-current bhyve guest installed
with ZFS root running on a 10-stable host with ZFS and driven by an
AMD FX-8320.  However the 3 cpus I give it seem to translate to a lot
of overhead on the host when building the -current world, determined
by drinking beer and watching htop on both.  The guest is running a
GENERIC-NODEBUG kernel, and I'm building with MALLOC_PRODUCTION=yes.
The host is much leaner.

So I am wondering if UFS in the -current guest might be better
overall.  I can certainly do a multiple hour experiment, installing
a new guest with UFS root, but since I am new to this, perhaps there is
conventional wisdom about ZFS vs. UFS in the guest?  Maybe UFS in the
guest requires less cpu resources from the host?  Or not?

Thanks,
Russell